Microbiology chapter 18 and 24 potential test questions
Hiv attaches to cell receptor called
- an endosome
Which of these HIV proteins binds to CD4 on human cells?
A provirus is
- a virus inserted into its host's chromosome
- any effective virus
- a type of syncytium
- active only when housed in its capsid
a. a virus inserted into its host's chromosome
Human immunodeficiency viruses most likely arose from
- genetically engineered human virus
- reverse transcription
- mutation of protease
- simian immunodeficiency viruses
d. dimian immunodeficiency viruses
Protease is an enzyme required by HIV to
- integrate the viral genome into the host chromosome
- enter human cells
- replicate the viral genome
- cleave a polypeptide so as to release reverse transcriptase
d. cleave a polypeptide so as to release reverse transcriptase
Why is AIDS more accurately termed a "syndrome" rather than a mere disease?
because it can result in many opportunisitic diseases including shingles, herpes, meningitis, toxoplasmosis, tuberculosis, pneumocystis, thrush, dementia.
Bacterial infection of the vagina that does not involve inflammation is called
- bacterial virulence
- bacterial vaginitis
- bacterial vaginosis
- bacterial bubosis
c. bacterial vaginosis
Select the true statement about gummas
- Gummas are small, painless, reddened hard lesions.
- gummas are diseased lymph nodes, which may persist for months
- gummas typically form during the primary phase of syphilis
- gummas are rubbery, painfully swollen lesions
d. are rubbery, painfully swollen lesions
Which stage of syphilis is characterized by chancres filled with contagious spirochetes
Treatment of chlamydial infections involves
- erythromycin cream
- surgical correction of eyelid deformities
- all of the above
d. all of the above
In which state of syphilis is penicillin ineffective?
- penicillin is ineffective for all of the above
Which of the following is the most common of these sexually transmitted diseases in the US?
- chlamydial infection
c. chlamydial infection
A foul smelling, yellowish green vaginal discharge characterizes
- chlamydial infection
Which of the following statements concerning properly used condoms is false?
- reduce the spread of genital warts
- reduce the incidence of gonorrhea
- may increase the likelihood of chlamydial infection
- are effective in reducing the transmission of syphilis
a. reduce the spread of genital warts
Toxic shock sydrome
Cold sores, sometimes genital herpes
Genital herpes, sometimes cold sores